Shopping while supporting local charities is possible at the best thrift shop in NJ.
You heard that right! Various stores in New Jersey are home to locals in need through their profits from selling secondhand items.
So when you thrift from these places, you’re indirectly supporting charities. What a way to share your blessings—fun and exciting!
Whether you’re a local or a tourist, keep reading to know where to head when thrifting in NJ.
- Several top thrift stores in NJ support local charities with their profits, so shopping there helps good causes.
- Shoppers can find great deals on quality secondhand items, from clothes to furniture to electronics.
- Tips are provided to thrift effectively, like being patient to find hidden gems and not hesitating to negotiate for better prices.
Where to Find the Best Thrift Store in New Jersey
Exploring thrift stores for the first time offers more than just the opportunity to uncover high-quality items at affordable prices. It opens the door to a unique experience where you might stumble upon hidden treasures, all while contributing to charitable causes that support essential services like food, shelter, and healthcare.
To enhance your thrift shopping experience, consider incorporating some valuable thrift shopping tips into your journey.
New Jersey has a lot of top thrift stores where you can do this, and here are some of the best:
St. Mary’s Advocates Thrift Store (Hoboken, New Jersey)
Wednesday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Thursday 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Friday 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Saturday 12:30 pm – 4:30 pm
Want to get your style game fo impactful? If you’re in New York City, head towards Hoboken, where you can find St. Mary’s Advocates Thrift Store.
Run by community volunteers for 50 years, this store generated $79,757 in 2022. All of which are for meaningful causes and donations, such as scholarships and support for charities in their community.
What’s more is that you can make a difference in healthcare. When you shop in St. Mary’s, you’re helping shape someone’s future. Your purchase contributes to a healthcare scholarship for individuals pursuing certifications in the field.
Check out their shelves, and you’ll find a treasure glove. They stock it with second-hand brand names and designer clothes for men, women & children. You can also find well-loved accessories, jewelry, art, small electronics, household items, etc.
Unearth unique finds while supporting persons in need—talk about shopping with purpose! If you’re in the area, why not visit a hub of positive change while purchasing second-hand items with heart and style?
Market Street Mission Thrift Store (Paterson, New Jersey)
HOURS: Monday-Saturday (9:00 AM – 5:00 PM)
Time flies when you’re having fun, right? But we’re just starting to explore NJ’s best thrift stores. Our next stop is the Market Street Mission Thrift Store, which is a classic.
This store has been around for 130 years. And it’s not your average organization; it’s a game-changer for many people facing tough times.
People needing a meal or bed for the night are always welcome in Market Street Mission. Besides clothing, shelter, food, and other immediate needs, this organization is also for long-term assistance.
They have rehabilitation and thoughtful programs that help folks overcome poverty, homelessness, and addiction. And one of their daily grinds to achieve such is through their thrift store.
Mind you, it’s not a simple retail store; it’s a large shop where you can find vintage and modern stuff!
You can hunt for luxury decor for your space. Or furnish your entire home with a fantastic selection: small appliances, dishes, pots, lamps, bookshelves, tables, dressers, bed frames, rugs, chairs, couches, etc.
Oh, wait. Those are just the basics. Let’s have a stroll that can take you to memory lanes through music on CDs, movies on DVD, and other vinyls.
Fashion? Of course, they have it, too. Their massive racks have shoes and clothes for babies, children, men, and women, all in excellent condition.
You may even find American dress shoes, prom dresses, and tuxedos.
Did I mention that you can even find a sleek leather loveseat? I would have bought that if only NJ were just a short distance from home.
But anyway, whatever items you’ve bought, you won’t regret buying them. You’re supporting their organization’s program.
So shopping at this shop in the Northern part of NJ isn’t just about getting a good deal; you’re helping change countless lives. Little things do matter.
The Center Square Thrift Shop (Belmar, NJ)
HOURS: Tuesday-Saturday (10:00 AM – 5:00 PM)
Another must-visit shop is The Center Square Thrift Shop. Trust me, this isn’t your run-of-the-mill thrift store.
It is run by volunteers and members of The Center, which is a haven of support for those living with HIV/AIDS and their families. And unlike typical shops, this one exudes coziness, cleanliness, and organization.
Many men loved it because of their Men’s Department. Yes, you got that right—they have a fashion treasure trove for men.
And the clothes? We’re talking about high-quality pieces, not your average thrift finds. All of which are affordable.
Pair up your clothes with bling! They have a top-notch jewelry section both for men and women, too. You can even find seasonal goodies, knick-knacks, and home furniture here.
My favorite is their customer service—it’s too good to be true. You’ll be greeted with the friendliest bunch of people.
In short, they have it all here: friendly staff, great finds, and a remarkable charity.
Hana Mission Thrift Store (Belleville, NJ)
HOURS: Monday-Saturday (10:00 AM – 5:00 PM)
Hana Mission thrift store is not just a shop but a beacon of hope and transformation. The best thing about this is the organization is a tight-knit family on a mission.
They share teachings about Jesus, and most importantly, they uplift the underprivileged community. And all of this is possible through the help of their four thrift shops in New Jersey.
As for the vibe of the store, it may make you want to visit again. It’s filled with friendly, organized, and clean faces, making it easier to sift through the treasures.
They have a lot of sections, from men’s to women’s to household items. The best thing about this is that you can grab items for as cheap as $1 during their clearance sale.
Before I forget, they also have a downstairs section. You can find a lot of electronics, games, and housewares here.
So, if you want to contribute to something bigger than just a thrift store transaction, swing by the Hana Mission Thrift Store.
The Benefits of Thrift Shopping
Thrift shopping in NJ has many benefits, including:
- Affordability: Great bargains at great prices are possible in thrift shops. No more spending thousands of bucks to find unique pieces of stuff.
- Uniqueness: Speaking of uniqueness, stand out with one-of-a-kind items or clothes from thrift shops in NJ. Mind you, you may not find them in big stores.
- Sustainability: Going green? Start with thrift shopping, as it can help reduce waste from producing or manufacturing new clothing. You’re even helping landfills free from America’s pounds of discarded clothes each year.
- Charity: Spending with a purpose may be the new mantra for thrift shoppers. Not only are you finding great, rare items, but you’re also helping communities. Instead of helping big corporations, why not buy from shops that help locals?
Because of these reasons, many people were drawn or some would say ‘addicted’ to thrift shopping.
How to Thrift Shop Effectively
Visiting thrift shops is an adventure, and you might want to try my proven tips to have a successful thrift shopping spree:
- Be prepared to dig: Sometimes, this is correct, especially if the thrift shops are on sale. And when they do, they’re like hidden gem havens. So brace yourself to find rare items. You might even find the perfect seventies outfit.
- Be patient: Being patient in thrift shopping is real if you want to find the best ones. Finding what you’re looking for may take a second or third visit. But girl, it’ll all be worth it.
- Scrutinize items: When you find the one that makes your heart beat faster, grab it. But ensure that you inspect the item; it should be in good condition to enjoy it for a long time.
- Don’t hesitate to negotiate: Haggling is the key to thrift shopping. They’ll happily give you discounts as long as the price is right.
Shop with a Mission Today!
If you’re searching for the best thrift store in NJ, do yourself a favor and explore the fantastic four I’ve lined up for you.
Trust me, disappointment isn’t on the menu, except that they don’t offer consignment!
Whichever store is your choice, it’ll be worthwhile.
You’re shopping while helping the community—from healthcare to basic needs to scholarships.
Although the list doesn’t contain a consignment store, it’s still one of the best ways to spend money without feeling guilty.
So, don’t forget to visit these shops whenever you’re in the streets of New Jersey, or visit them online, too.